Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Oh 'Deer'

Our town is dealing with a dilemma - a deer dilemma. Specifically, what do we do about their rampant numbers? Apparently, the deer have reaped great benefits from living in our little town. Why wouldn't they... food sources are abundant (even if you don't consider the crazies that actually put out feed for them), and there is plenty of shelter as well as a lack of natural predators (unless you count the dogs that chase them down the streets). Generations of deer have been born here with an abundance of food and no form of population control. This has led to a dramatic increase in numbers over the last several years.

Many of the complaints that I have read and heard with regard to the deer involve damage to landscape. The opponents of deer control measures make it sound as if these deer are just nibbling on a few flowers. They do, indeed, enjoy the occasional flower (especially tulips from the Allen yard). That is, however within the home owner's ability to control. If I would REMEMBER to spray my flowers with deer repellent, they would leave well enough alone. It goes far beyond flowers, however. They often destroy trees and shrubs and munch away at perennials. This can add up to hundreds of dollars worth of loss. The opponents of the deer control measures would counter that you should put a six foot fence around your yard. Put a fence around my FRONT Yard? What is this, Fort Knox? Forget about having a front yard that contributes to the beauty and charm of the town... fence it in!

Other complaints center around the claim that that the deer are aggressive, particularly toward pets of the canine persuasion. I get that dogs should be in fenced yards and/or on a leash. It makes me crazy to have to clean up after a dog that has used my yard as a toilet, and it makes me even crazier to be chased by loose dogs while out on a run. Dog owners should be held accountable for keeping their dogs under control, and face consequences when they fail to do so. If the dog is loose in the streets, and ends up being hurt or killed by a deer, the fault lies with the owner. But... what if the dog is in MY FENCED-IN BACKYARD? We don't actually have a dog (my children remind me regularly what a mean mom I am), but a couple of years back, we were dog-sitting, and were startled from our sleep by the dog whining. Assuming she needed to do her business, my husband let her out. It turns out, she wanted to go out to 'play' with the very large buck that was in the yard. The buck wasn't really interested in a 'playdate' and proceeded to take on a threatening stance. The buck's escape route was being blocked by the dog, and although Zack eventually manage to call the dog in, and all were unharmed, it had the potential to end much differently.

Honestly, I am not nearly concerned as concerned about pets and plants as I am my children. A very large (at least he looks very large in my small backyard, near my small children) buck has made frequent appearances in our yard this fall. He seems to like our apple tree, and doesn't care much for my rambunctious kids. I keep hearing folks say that if we would just check the yard before we go out, we would be safe enough. Unfortunately, it is difficult to get my five children as well as all the other little folk who visit our home (ranging in age from newborn to 13) to check for large antlered animals before running into the yard to play. The death or injury of a child would be a terribly tragic and painful way to realize how dangerous these animals can be.


'But they were here first!' may be one of the most common cries heard from the Defenders of Deer (DODs... What do ya think? I think I may have come up with a name for their cause?). The mountain lions, coyotes, wolves and bears were also here first, but I think that these DOD folk might not be as enchanted by a mountain lion slinking around the streets of their neighborhoods.

Recently, the City Council and the Division of Wildlife met to address the issue. The DOW presented three options: Establish a hunting area and season outside city limits, trap and kill them, or hire a team of marksmen to come into the city at night to kill them. They seemed to think that a combination of all three would be the best and most effective course of action.

I have to admit, I am a little disturbed by the idea of a 'marksman' prowling down my street at night, armed with a deadly weapon. It seems a bit more "Mission Impossible' than 'Mission Deer Removal'. Humane trapping and relocation seems to be a reasonable solution. However, these are animals that have only known town living, and I fear they would not be well suited to a more natural habitat. It also seems that they would be inclined to seek out another populated area. The idea of hunting outside city limits seems acceptable to me even though I, personally, would never shoot an animal on purpose. I'm more than happy to eat them, but I will leave the shooting to someone else, thank you very much. This idea has also aroused outrage among the DOD (Defenders of Deer). Even people who claim to be hunters themselves, have some aversion to 'killing these beautiful creatures'. Why are the deer who inhabit our town MORE beautiful and worthy of protection than those minding their own business on public lands. If hunters had the opportunity to take these animals, at least they would be put to good use.

There have been one or two letters to the editor regarding the deer dilemma in our local paper each day since the City Council meeting. The issue seems to illicit a very strong reaction in folks. I honestly don't think there is a perfect solution. For the most part I find the deer a charming addition to our town, especially when I am out for some exercise and fresh air and I encounter a couple of spotted fawns. Who can resist that sight? The mommas looking out for those babies and the big antlered boys are a whole different story, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Talk...