Thursday, October 28, 2010

'Weighing' In: Just my Opinion

There has been a virtual avalanche of tweets and blogs, comments, posts and talk show debates this week and it all began with CNN article about Mike & Molly, a sitcom that chronicles the story of a couple who meet at an Overeaters Anonymous group. The CNN story claims that "some viewers aren't comfortable watching intimacy between two plus-sized actors".

This article was followed by an opinion piece published in Marie Claire magazine, Should Fatties Get a Room? (Even on TV?). Marie Claire contributer, Maura Kelly wrote the piece in response to the CNN article and didn't hold back:

"I think I'd be grossed out if I had to watch two characters with rolls and rolls of fat kissing each other... because I'd be grossed out if I had to watch them do anything. To be brutally honest, even in real life, I find it aesthetically displeasing to watch a very, very fat person simply walk across a room."

I am a firm believer that everyone is entitled to their own opinion (even though I happen to think that Ms. Kelly's opinion is wrong), but as a former 'fatty', I find it distressing that Marie Claire's editors could show such a blatant lack of respect or anything resembling compassion in giving this article the thumbs up. It is shameful that women's magazines are still trying to send the message that beauty only comes in a size small.

Overweight people are still people, and want the same things out of life as everyone else... love and companionship being at the top of most lists. Kelly's words imply that heavy people should not only keep their kissing and hugging private, but also refrain from 'walking across a room'. It seems like she would be more than happy for the big folks to just keep themselves hidden away to save the skinny folk from feeling 'grossed out' or 'aesthetically displeased'. Kelley goes on to say:

"Now don't go getting the wrong impression: I have a few friends who could be called plump. I'm not some size-ist jerk."

I think it highly likely that her 'plump friends' may beg to differ. If I were one of those friends (for I have had a history of 'plumpness'), I would certainly re-evaluate that friendship.

As I ponder this article, I also think back to the early months in my own journey to fitness. One of the most difficult struggles during that time, was exercising in front of other people. Let's face it... it's ridiculously embarrassing to engage in an activity that will necessitate the jiggling and joggling of all the parts you least want to draw attention to. If it grosses thin people (like Ms. Kelly) out to watch an overweight person do 'anything', including walk across a room, imagine their reaction to seeing heavy folks exercise. I read some comments from some fellow 'larger than size 4' exercisers who have had teenage boys shout taunts and ugliness out their car windows (their parents would be so proud) and men holler out the window, "Would you run faster for a donut?" It's hard to believe in the inherent good in people when a-holes like this give the rest of us a bad name.

Besides turing me into a cynic, people like Kelley and the 'exercise taunters' are really being counter-productive. Doesn't it seem like if their aim is to eliminate fat people from their view, (and locking them away on some private 'fat people' island is not really an option), then maybe they should be slightly more supportive of their weight loss efforts. Like... say for example, instead of gazing down their nose in contempt when they pass by them in the gym, smile and say a kind word. Give a thumbs up to the runner you pass on the road rather than a hurled insult.

Although there is no excuse for Kelly's hurtful words, following the onlsaught of responses to her piece, she did offer something in the way of an apology and an explanation. She has struggled with eating disorders and body image issues. I say too little, too late. It seems, if anything, her body image issues should help her to understand how complex and emotional these issues can be. It's going to take a lot of shoveling for her to dig herself out of this mess.

For a fantastic response to Maura Kelly's article, read this .




No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Talk...