Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Dinner Dilemma


I have been facing a dinnertime dilemma of late, and I know all you other moms out there can relate. I cook a meal, set it before my family, and inevitably get the wrinkle nose look from at least one of the kids (Zack never gives the look, but I KNOW sometimes he's doing it in his head). Often I even get a little noise to go with the wrinkle... a grumble or a groan or an 'aw, man!'

Maybe it's just me, but it's hard not to get just a teensy bit upset about it. I mean, I take my job as a mom pretty seriously. I try a new recipe once or twice a week, and I try to find things that are economical as well as family friendly (fast and easy never hurts either). I also really like to cook, and consider it one of my strengths as a SAHM (I can also scrub a toilet like nobody's business). So when I spend time and energy to make a meal for my family, I get a little ticked off when I get a negative reaction... especially when the negative reaction comes before they even taste it. You want to set me off... that will do it! Seriously! Would it kill them to show a little appreciation? PRETEND to like it, for heaven's sake... just cause you love your Momma!

Our usual drill when we try a new recipe is to ask for a simple thumbs up if they'd like for me to make it again. Since it is next to impossible to make something that gets a unanimous thumbs up, I'll put it on the 'make again' list if I get at least 4 thumbs.

Recently, I found a recipe that meets all the criteria: fast, easy, economical AND it got SIX thumbs (Quinn doesn't really get the idea yet, so we'll call 6 unanimous). AND there were lots of requests for seconds. AND my picky girl kept saying how GOOD it was. I figure if my brood all like it, odds are pretty good that some of your broods will too. It's also a perfect fall meal. So here it is. Try it... and let me know what you think!


Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Ingredients:
2 boneless chicken breasts cut into small pieces
several tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup carrot (chopped)
1/2 cup celery (chopped)
1/2 an onion (chopped)
2 cloves minced garlic
1 (4.5 ounce) package quick cooking long grain and wild rice with seasoning packet (Rice a Roni)
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cups milk

Directions:
Saute the chicken breasts in a little bit of olive oil. When done, remove from pan and set aside. In the same pan saute carrots, celery and onion to pan with a little more olive oil. Cook for a few minutes. Add garlic and cook for a few minutes more.
In a large pot over medium heat, combine broth, water and chicken. Bring just to boiling, then stir in rice, reserving seasoning packet. Cover and remove from heat.
In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper and flour. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter with 1/4 cup olive oil. Stir in contents of seasoning packet until mixture is bubbly. Reduce heat to low, then stir in flour mixture by tablespoons, to form a roux. Whisk in milk, a little at a time, until fully incorporated and smooth. Cook until thickened, 5 minutes.
Stir cream mixture into broth and rice. Cook over medium heat until heated through, 10 to 15 minutes.

*The original recipe did not call for any vegetables, used heavy cream instead of milk, and 1/2 cup butter and no olive oil. I tried to make it a bit healthier, and it turned out great. But feel free to take out any veggies or add back in the extra fat if you want. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Talk...