Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Progress

A week ago I made a list of things I want to accomplish over the course of the year. Some are things that will take some time or will have to wait for warmer weather. Some are monthly goals, and it's too soon to evaluate my progress.

But there is one thing on the list that we have been doing faithfully each day... turning off all electronics for one hour each night (in addition to the time we spend at the dinner table). You wouldn't think one hour is such a long time. You wouldn't think electronics are that big a part of our lives. But? You would be wrong. It's wild how virtually none of these things (cell phones, ipods, laptops, handheld gaming systems, etc.) existed in the average home 10 years ago, yet now we can hardly imagine life without them.

The kids fought me a bit on this one. "Why?", they wondered (particularly Riley, clutching his brand new ipod touch). Because we need to spend more time with each other, rather than just in the same room. Because we need to talk to each other more. Because we need to read and play with each other more.

I'm not gonna lie, it has been louder, but it's the sound of Evan reading Henry and Mudge to me at the same time Shayna is reading The Three Bears to Quinn. It has been crazier, but that's because Riley is chasing Quinn around the house tickling him. It has been messier, but that's because Owen and Evan have the legos dumped out in their room, and are busily building spaceships.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the benefits of technology. I love my computer. I love the convenience of texting. I love skyping with far away family. I love my ipod... but I also love the simple things... snuggling by the fire with my husband while I listen to my children play around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Talk...