Sunday, February 7, 2010

My Next 30 Years

More on this little thing called "self-reflection". It's not an easy or fun thing to do. It means looking at the ugly, weak parts of myself, and unfortunately I have lots to work with! I am starting with an issue I know so many women can relate to... weight! I have never really been happy with my weight, or had a particularly healthy body image. I know, I know... what woman does, right? I have had no shortage of "good" excuses... the baby weight, the post-baby weight, the post-nursing weight. I could just hang on to the "I have 5 kids" excuse, but is that really gonna work for me when they're all teenagers? I feel like I have wasted a lot of time making excuses. Why??? For me, it's always been easier to make an excuse than to take a risk. Who wants to fail? But... I'm so tired of making excuses!

The other day, I was running and the Tim McGraw song, "My Next 30 Years" came on my i-pod. The lyrics to this song really summed up the attitude I have been struggling to embrace...

I think I'll take a moment, celebrate my age
The ending of an era and the turning of a page
Now it's time to focus on where I go from here
Lord have mercy on my next 30 years

Well for me, this time in my life is "the ending of an era and the turning of a page". I'm moving on... no more babies in my future. So where do I go from here? I put the excuses behind me. I take control of my life. I get healthy. Sounds simple right? I am not naive enough to think that I am not gonna stumble. But if I want to live my best life, I have to be willing to take the risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Talk...