Sunday, December 5, 2010

A Day to Myself (Well... almost)

Today was a heavenly day. Zack took the four older kids skiing, and Quinn and I spent the day at home together... just the two of us. We read books, watched Yo Gabba Gabba (even though I really sort of hate that show) and snuggled.

While Quinn napped, I sipped coffee and caught up on some shows I had on the DVR. I read a little. I did a load of laundry. I cleaned the floors. I made some soup and baked a loaf of fresh bread.

This might not sound like the standard definition of 'heavenly', but I did not have to referee a single disagreement. I didn't have to make and clean up after meals for a herd of children. I did not have 5 children placing demands on me. Just one sweet toddler who was perfectly happy not to have to share my attention with his siblings.

The day was peaceful. It was productive. I loved every minute of it. Then... my family came home. It went from peaceful to chaotic. Arguments over dibs on the TV/video games broke out within minutes. I watched as the cleaning I had done was promptly undone. The entryway looked like a poorly organized ski shop. Half a dozen helmets, gloves and various other skiing accessories were strewn about haphazzardly.

But... Evan was positively bursting to tell me how he moved up from level 1 to 3 after his very first ski lesson. Not many things are quite as exciting as your first time on the chairlift. Riley filled me in on the changes to the terrain park. Apparently there are some pretty rad jumps and rails. I'll take his word for it. Owen told me that the bread I made with dinner was the best ever (even though he didn't really like the soup).

I like it when they leave. It makes me appreciate having them home again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Talk...