Thursday, September 30, 2010

It's Lunatic Football Season!


So it's that time of year again... there's a crispness in the air, leaves are changing, school is in full swing, and a certain sport is underway that causes the most rational of people to temporarily LOSE THEIR MINDS. I'm not sure what it is about football that seems to bring out the worst in some people. Maybe that's because I really don't even understand it. I try, really I do. I try not to miss my son's games if I can help it, and I am right there watching him and cheering him on in very vague and generic terms. I mostly just say, "Go, Riley!" or "Get in there, Riley!" If I see him hit someone, I cheer. If we score a touch down, I cheer. If everyone else on our sideline cheers, I cheer. I'm always asking Zack questions... What's a down? What's a sack? Why did they throw that flag on the field? What position does Riley play, again? I would say my understanding of the game is rudimentary, at best. If they gave grades for following and understanding the game, I'd be lucky to get a C-. If they gave grades for understanding the behavior of spectators and coaches, I would get a big ole F.

It is just a game, right? They're just kids, right? It's supposed to be fun, right? Every Tuesday evening, though, I see the most ludicrous behavior out of the adults around me. I like a little healthy competition as much as the next person. Just ask my running partners. You know... the kind of competitive spirit that helps push you to reach your potential and to grow as an athlete. I'm all for that, but it could be just a bit too much when a mom is screaming at her child and the team in such an ear shattering voice that I am genuinely concerned for the health of her vocal chords. One of my younger sons actually turned to me and said, "Mom. That lady's crazy". Quinn (21 months) was doing his best imitation of her by putting his hands around his mouth and making a raspy screech. It wasn't just the volume. It was her tone. Her own son turned to her and yelled, "Mom! You're not helping!" You can probably imagine what that got him... more yelling.

That same day, after a losing game, I saw a father berating his boy on the way to the car. He was screaming things like, "You're supposed to be playing football, out there!" The boy's head was hanging and his eyes were glistening with tears. Does he really think that's the way to reach his son? Is that really going to make him play better at the next game. More likely all it will get him is resentment.

The coaches aren't much better. We're talking sports and a bunch of guys, so I understand that yelling and a certain amount of 'guy talk' comes with the territory. A friend recently related a story about her son's coach telling his players to "leave their panties at home" on game day. I can roll with that. I have a harder time rolling with the face mask grabbing, in their face cussing kind of behavior some of these yahoos exhibit. It's not the friggen NFL!

I'm not sure this mom alone can take on all these lunatics and big egos. So I guess all I can do is try make sure my kid knows that all we expect from him is his best, and try to bring a little positive energy with us to the sideline on Tuesday night. Can't say I'll be heartbroken to see football season go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Talk...